Friday, April 25, 2008

Sculpting

I studied sculpture (along with printmaking, drawing and painting) in college, and I still love working in 3-D. In Indiana where I went to school, limestone was free for intrepid sculptors willing to haul away surprisingly heavy stones from the fringes of reservoirs. I sculpted a lot of stone with chisels, hammers and files.


I carved plaster, hand-built terra cotta,


I even welded steel! I glued slabs of basswood together to make a block from which I carved a Venus-of-Willendorf-type figure (which someone thought was a naked baby as I carried it cradled in the crook of my elbow walking back to my apartment at the end of the semester.)



I know a lot of artists are creating figures in wool with the needle felting technique, but I have always been drawn more to abstracted images. I have preferred to craft the symbol of a flower rather than a realistic flower with accurate petals and stamen. Around Christmas someone requested a mouse so I made a few stylized mice:


And then recently, I wanted to make a gift for someone and I knew they liked dogs so I tried my hand at this:



I worked entirely from my imagination and enjoyed it. I'm very pleased with the results and am excited to try more (Chet, you're next!)

7 comments:

  1. From the heavy block of limestone to the tiny fuzzy puppy, you have always been a true sculptor, willing to try any material, producing delightful pieces.

    I love your work, I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pieces of artwork! I especially love the fuzzy puppy -- but then again who wouldn't??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the venus of willendorf, she is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Venus has always been one of my faves of yours. I like yer pooch too!

    Hurray!

    -Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. I'd love to see more of these!! Felting and pets are like peanut butter and jelly!! They just go together -- and yours is so so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! More wool sculpture is definitely coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOWOW Gorgeous!! I love it!!
    I want to learn how to make them!!
    I have tooooo...

    ReplyDelete